General dentistry is the branch of medicine involving the care and prevention of oral health conditions, diseases, and disorders. A dentist’s job is to use preventative care and patient education to preclude the need for treatments and instead promote a healthy smile for life. Dentists are also responsible for diagnosing conditions that affect the mouth, teeth, gums and jaws, as well as develop the most effective treatment plan with the patient’s best interests in mind.
General dentists attend and complete dental school to achieve a Doctor of Dental Surgery or a Doctor of Dental Medicine. At that time, dentists may take national and state certification exams, which prove a dentist’s proficiency to practice. Upon passing the exams, state licensure is awarded on an individual basis.
General dentists typically do not focus on any particular specialty, instead opting to provide generalized dental care to patients. In some cases, general dentists may refer a patient to a specialty provider for care or treatment that is beyond the scope of general dentistry. However, most general dentists are capable of providing complete examinations, cleanings, root canals, restorations, extractions and tooth prosthetics.
General dentistry is best when patients use it for preventive care, rather than for emergency treatment. By visiting a dentist and his or her team of hygienists and dental technicians twice annually for cleaning and examination, patients can avoid decay and identify potential oral health conditions, such as periodontal disease, in their earliest stages.
Please see more related articles that make understanding dental treatments clear, and concise. Also learn more about how the positive results of your daily home habits can be most rewarding:
- General Hygiene Check-up
- It’s More Than “Just a Cleaning.” It’s Prevention!
- Prevention and Good Oral Care
- How to Brush Your Teeth
- How to Floss Your Teeth
- Electric vs. Manual Brush
- Bad Breath Causes and Cures
- Dental Health & Your Diet: What You Eat Affects How You Can Eat
- Why Fluoride Prevents Decay
- Oral Health Videos
- Preserve Oral Health During Pregnancy
- Dental Sealants Prevent Cavities
- Accidents & Mouth guards
- Guards for Clenching & Grinding Teeth
- Achieve an Ageless Smile
Snoring & Sleep Apnea
Our blog explores the more personal and practical considerations:
• “Eight Steps to Dental Health” —of all the activities for ensuring health, dental diligence is the least time-consuming. Keep your teeth for a lifetime with only eight simple steps in a daily routine.
• “Relationship Dentistry” —describes our commitment to developing trust and understanding for each patient’s unique circumstances
• “Teeth as Best Friends” —they are depended upon to help our well being. But, like any healthy relationship, they do need attention.
• “Cleaning Towards Total Health” —discover how regular hygiene check-ups affects your health in unexpected ways.
• “The Past, Present, and Future of Dental Technology” —perspective on developments.
• “Seven Questions to Ask a New Dentist” —common misperceptions can mask some of the most important answers you should have when forming a relationship with a new dental office.
“The Eighth Question to Ask a New Dentist” —Choose a dentist that uses the latest developments. Dentistry is on the forefront of practical innovation.
• “Dental Device Transforms Patient Experience”—An innovative mouthpiece design increases the comfort, efficiency, and quality of dental procedures.
Click here to discover what patients have experienced working with Dr. Chernoff for their dental treatments.
Refer to related articles that discuss the dental approach of Dr. Chernoff’s practice:
- “Evanston Dental Care Team” —Dr. Chernoff heads a cohesive team dedicated to patient care, comfort, and long-term health.
- “Meet the Dentist” —Dr. Chernoff describes what he loves most about dentistry.
- “Before and After” —the “Smile Gallery” displays proud transformations and case studies of dental treatment solutions.
Choose a dental care team with experience, skill, talent, and compassion you can depend upon. OUR MISSION is to help our patients achieve a higher level of self-esteem, quality of life, and well-being, by enhancing the appearance, comfort, and function of their teeth.
Please call our convenient Evanston dental office at 847-475-4080.
Consult “Patient Education” for concise dental treatment explanations and solutions.
Enjoy “Chernoffisms” to inspire your dental health from a wealth of memorable sayings.
Comment on Facebook to share concerns or questions you may have.
Improve and maintain your oral health. Visit our dental office located in downtown Evanston, convenient to Skokie, Wilmette, and Northern Chicago suburbs. We look forward to helping you! —Dr. Arnold K. Chernoff